Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Quick Weeknight Dinner with a Kick!

         Lisa's Dinnertime Dish has moved.  Please visit me at my new and improved blog site!  The new address is http://lisasdinnertimedish.com.  I look forward to seeing you at the new site!!


     Yesterday I had no inspiration for dinner....none at all.  I went through the fridge, the freezer, the pantry....still nothing.  I went through the grocery store flyers, to see if anything on sale would jump out at me...nothing.  So I started in on my cookbooks and magazines...FINALLY...Cooking Light came to the rescue for me!  Not only did I have inspiration for last night, I actually had inspiration for several meals!

     So off to the grocery store I went, armed with coupons, to get the groceries I was missing for last night's, tonight's and tomorrow night's dinners.  At the checkout I was very pleased with myself, my coupons saved me over $30, which was 23% of my bill.  I'm no extreme couponer, but hey, 30 bucks is still 30 bucks!

    Anyways, back to dinner.  The recipe that I decided on was Country Captain Chicken.  According to Cooking Light, it is a southern classic that both South Carolina and Georgia lay claim to.  Since I'm from Minnesota, I have no idea (if you're from the south and you've heard of this dish, I'd love to hear from you).  I've made this dish several times and what I really love is the curry that's in it.  The curry makes it fairly spicy and the raisins give it a little bit of sweetness.  I also really love that it's quick to make, so it really is perfect for a weeknight.

Country Captain Chicken
Adapted from Cooking Light


  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, sliced vertically
  • 1 medium green pepper, slice vertically
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2/3 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup raisins (I didn't realize I was out of raisins, so I used dried cherries, which were actually pretty good)
  • 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped and divided
  • 1 14 oz can Rotel with green chilies (I could only find 10oz cans, so I used 1 1/2 cans)
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • hot, cooked rice (I used brown rice)


In a small saute pan, toast almonds over medium low to medium heat, tossing often until lightly toasted.



In a small bowl, combine curry, salt and pepper.


Chop your veggies.



Cut up your chicken and sprinkle with all of the spice mixture.



Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  When pan is hot, add chicken and saute for about 5 minutes. 



Add onions, peppers and garlic and saute for about 5 more minutes.


Add chicken stock, raisins, 1 tbsp thyme and tomatoes.






Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Stir in remaining thyme and cook for 1 minute more.


Serve over hot rice and top with almonds.


ENJOY!


Shared at Newlyweds Blog on 11/16/11
Shared atThis Chick Cooks on 11/16/11
Shared at Everday Mom's Meals on 11/20/11

4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. Love your blog. I'm your newest follower. Hope to see you at DIY Home Sweet Home
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. I think I'll try it for dinner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished making it. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete